November 02, 2007

Carpe diem

This is for my friend, Dona. I mentioned her, not by name, in the first blog I ever posted. Later, I called her "Serena."

This isn't the last post I will write about her, but it is with great love and sadness that all I can tell you is, I have lost a wonderful, kind, funny, smart friend of 29 years standing.

If you want to read about her fight with breast cancer, some of her friends have set up a web site, www.supportdona.org that takes you through the chronology, from diagnosis, pregnant, at 41, to the end. Her children will never celebrate Halloween. It is, in some cultures, the day of the dead. It is, for all of us, the day she became a spirit, one not of this world.

I will always carry her with me in my heart, and in time, there will be stories, memories of us from our teenage years through co-chairing our college class's 25th reunion, everything in between, and the few months that elapsed between the beginning of June and end of October.

Tears are hitting my keyboard. The world has lost someone whom it could least afford to lose. And I mourn. For now, that is all I can do.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it doesn't sound pat to say that I'm sorry for your loss; a three-decade friendship is no small investment, and you both deserved more years to reap its dividends.

12:58 PM  
Blogger The Misanthrope said...

My sincere sympathies go out to you and Dona/Serena's family.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deepest condolences to you on the loss of a dear friend. Those are too few and far between. My thoughts are with you. I hope you are doing ok.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home