October 31, 2009

For Dona Marie Thomas Canales-Higgins

In memoriam: Dona Marie T. C-H March 2, 1991-October 31,2007

Ten things I know about Dona, who fought and bitched and sued and was ready to strangle the next pink-ribbon wearing woman. Ribbons don't cure cancer, and if you have it, do you really want a month of reminders commercialized everywhere? Dona didn't.

She had a neat one-page summary of all her chemo treatments, with a photograph of herself and all her relevant insurance info and contact names. Somewhere in my files, I have a copy.

In the end, none of it mattered: as of two years ago today, she is no longer with us. But this is what I know, or snippets from her lifespan.

1)she had blue contact lenses, to confuse people who wondered, how can a black woman have blue eyes?

2)she drove a Yugo, in the 1980s, and when she parked it, she put the club on her steering wheel.

3)she could have danced professionally

4)she taught me to dress better -- not to be so boring in the wardrobe department

5)she and I liked to make our college friends think we were lovers, just for the hell of it.

6)she liked her boyfriends to be other than traditionally handsome.

7)she loved her two children, Marcus and Thomas, more than anyone in the world. Thomas remembers her laughter; Marcus, her cough.

8)she and I spent hours at her uncle's house, watching the projection screen TV and frolicking around the pool

9)she bought me my first home pregnancy test, so I didn't have to

10)she was my dear friend, and I miss her.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Tiffany said...

Thank you for this post. I was thinking of Dona today, with her birthday coming up and all. I did an internet search and saw your post. It brought back so many wonderful memories. Thank you.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. Dona was my cousin and I'm planning on walking in our local Making Strides against Breast Cancer walk in her honor next month. I couldn't remember when she died. I didn't know her as well as you did either. Thank you for sharing what a unique and lovable person she was.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. It's been nearly four years since she left us and I still miss my friend and former co-worker. I will always.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home