March 05, 2008

Tremble and blur

My hands have been stuttering wildly these past few days. Sure, I was used to the occasional med-related hand tremor, but waking up in a full-body tremor that won't go away....not so much. If I had a hard time focusing before, not being able to hold a pen and read my own writing hasn't helped.

The neurologist today said, since my meds haven't changed in at least 6 months, that the tremor was "idiopathic." That's doctor-ese for, "fucked-if-we-know." At least he was impressed by my vast pharmaceutical knowledge. (Hmmm: I take the meds; I'm going to be damn sure someone does her homework about them, since I've had to explain one combination twice in one week.)

My corneas are irritated, so everything I see is through a haze. At first, I was scared I was going blind, for no conceivable reason. Then I went to the opthamologist, got a diagnosis, and eye drops. Why did this happen? Once again, fucked if we know.

Makes me wonder what the hell they do teach in med school. Why is it considered so challenging to be admitted? After four years of school, plus years of residency, you're not going to ever diagnose any ailment I have and be able to determine its origin. I can play doctor without having had to stay awake in a hospital helping sick people for a 36-hour shift. Pass me the prescription pad, please.

You haven't lived until you've tried to put drops in your eyes when your hands won't stay still.

It has been one hell of a week chez Alice.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fucking hate the word "idiopathic." And yes, I fully concur with you. It's frightening the amount of information that most doctors DON'T know.

Hope things get better soon.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Middle Girl said...

My mom (& by extension me) deals with these issues nearly daily.

I too, hope things improve soon.

Peace.

2:36 PM  
Blogger The Misanthrope said...

I do hope things are better now. A nice vacation should help.

Alice, this has nothing to do with this post, but I tagged you for a six word memoir.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home